Recipe for 5 individual soufflé dishes of 10cm diameter and 6cm height
|Crème pâtissière:||Soufflé base:|
|– 500g milk
– 250g caster sugar
– 1 egg yolk
– 2 eggs
– 40g corn flour
– 30g flour
– 5cl Grand Marnier
|– 600g crème pâtissière
– 10cl Grand Marnier
– 7 egg yolks
– 10 egg whites
– 20g caster sugar
Prepare the soufflé dishes
- Generously butter the soufflé dishes and coat with sugar, knocking out excess sugar.
- Set aside in the fridge
Prepare the Crème pâtissière
- In a heavy saucepan bring the milk to a boil over a low-medium heat
- At the same time combine the sugar, egg yolk and egg in a bowl with a whisk.
- Add the corn flour and flour whisking well.
- Add a small amount of milk to temper the above mixture whisking rapidly.
- Add about half the remaining milk whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and whisk over a low-medium heat until it comes up to a gentle boil. (It must boil for it to thicken.) Continue to cook, whisking all the time for 1 to 2 minutes, until it has thickened and looks shiny.
- Remove from heat.
- Add Grand Marnier to the crème pâtissière, put in a clean bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 10mn.
Preheat the oven to 180°C ( 160°C for fan oven)
The oven must be at the right temperature before you put in the soufflés.
Prepare the soufflé base
Add the the Grand Marnier and egg yolks to the refrigerated crème pâtissière.
Beat the egg whites and sugar until soft peak. A lump of beaten egg white should stick to the whisk at this stage.
Add about one-fourth of the beaten whites to the soufflé base and stir to combine. Fold in the remaining whites with a rubber spatula until just incorporated.
Fill the soufflé dishes without touching the sides when pouring the base.
Flatten the top with a spatula and run your thumb around the rim of the dish.
Bake for 15mn on the lower shelve of the oven.